PROTECTING ANIMAL HEALTH AND HUMAN HEALTH
- When an animal is sick with a bacterial infection, treating it with antibiotics is the ethical thing to do.
- The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) testified before Congress that antibiotics are one of the most important tools that veterinarians use to protect both human health and animal health.
- Veterinarians take an oath to protect animal health, prevent and relieve animal suffering and promote public health, similar to the oath taken by medical doctors to protect human health.
- Both work to ensure antibiotics are used responsibly to reduce the risk of resistance.
ANTIBIOTICS HELP PREVENT ANIMAL SUFFERING
- Animal suffering could be an unintended consequence if antibiotics are completely disallowed in animals.
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), an animal welfare group, agrees there would be serious consequences if animal antibiotics with crossover to human antibiotics are pulled from veterinarians’ toolkits.